Courtesy of Susquehanna Athletic Communications
Alex Burman broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the sixth inning with a two-run double and Bobby Grigas shut the door as the Susquehanna University Baseball team had several heroes in a 5-2 victory over Moravian Saturday afternoon. The win propels the team into Championship Sunday against either Moravian or Catholic.
How It Happened
- This one was a pitcher's duel to start, as neither team scored in the first two innings. The River Hawks (22-16) were first to plate a run in the third. With runners on first and second base, Alex Burman beat out a potential double play, and Anthony Dombrowski alertly scored from second as the ball squirted away from the first baseman.
- The score would remain the same until the top of the sixth inning, when the Greyhounds finally got to starter Tyson Thrush, who otherwise pitched well. With the bases loaded and two outs, a single through the right side made it 2-1 in favor of the Greyhounds.
- Susquehanna would then plate a big run in the bottom half of the inning. With two runners on and no one out, Peter Yarem executed a perfect bunt to advance the runners and Justin Miller did his job, pulling a ground ball to second to drive home Ben Burman.
- Following a clean seventh inning thrown by Grigas, the River Hawks did their damage. With Craig Roumes on third and Nick Berger on first, Alex Burman cracked a high fastball to right-center field that found the gap to make it 4-2. Ben Burman then followed that with a double of his own to add an important insurance run.
- That was all the runs the team would score, but Grigas did the rest, striking out five (including a big one to get out of a bases loaded jam) to carry the team to victory, 5-2.
Inside the Box Score
- The Burman brothers provided the offensive spark this afternoon, plating three runs to give the squad a cushion. Dombrowski also had three hits and is on fire over the Landmark Tournament (6-for-10).
- The combination of Thrush and Grigas combined to give up just eight hits and two walks in the win.
- Nick Berger and Craig Roumes each put together multi-hit games.
- Mike Mittl had two hits and two RBI to lead the Greyhounds.
Up Next for the River Hawks
- Sunday, May 12th – vs. Winner of Moravian/Catholic – Volpe Field – Scranton, Pa.