Courtesy of Susquehanna Athletic Communications
Scranton, Pa. – The third-seeded Susquehanna University men's lacrosse team went into Scranton Wednesday night and took care of business to punch their ticket to the championship game of the 2019 Landmark Conference Men's Lacrosse Championship Tournament. Susquehanna (11-7) rode a strong first quarter start to a 12-9 victory over second-seeded University of Scranton (10-8).
Sophomore attackman Colton Dick paced the River Hawks in the win with four goals and an assist while seniors Jack Donnelly and Jack Gerrity each tallied two goals and a helper.
Susquehanna is now headed to a rematch with Elizabethtown College on Saturday, May 4. Elizabethtown, the top-seed and two-time defending Landmark champion, downed No. 4 seed The Catholic University of America, 15-6, in today's other semifinal contest. Last season, E-town pulled out a come-from-behind 10-9 win in the Landmark title game at Susquehanna.
Tonight's triumph avenged SU's 15-7 regular-season loss to the Royals at Sassafras Field on March 23.
Susquehanna 12, Scranton 9
How It Happened
- Susquehanna rattled off four unanswered goals, including two goals and a dime from Dick, to stake a 4-0 lead with 5:07 remaining in the first period.
- After the Royals notched their first goal of the night at the 3:33-mark, SU collected back-to-back man-up goals from Gerrity and junior attackman Michael Hatala to take a five-goal advantage into the second quarter.
- Senior midfielder Jack DiGregorio stretched the River Hawk lead to 7-1 at 11:51 before Scranton put together a 3-0 run to close the cap to 7-4 with 40 seconds left in the half. Gerrity snapped the rally with his second of the night seven ticks before the end of the half to send SU into halftime with an 8-4 lead.
- Scranton scored the first goal of the second half but then Dick and freshman attackman Jack McLaughlin picked up the next two goals to give Susquehanna a five-goal cushion.
- The Royals tallied two of the next three goals to head into the final frame down just 11-7.
- Donnelly widened the gap to 12-7 at 7:58 with his second of the game before Scranton attempted a final comeback, scoring a pair in less than three minutes.
- The Susquehanna defense forced the Royals into three wide shots and two turnovers in the final 1:41 to cool off Scranton's rally.
Inside the Box Score
- Michael Elefonte, who put up four goals and three assists during the regular-season matchup at Susquehanna, was held to just one goal on nine shots tonight.
- The River Hawk defense displayed their muscle by killing all three of the Royals' extra-man opportunities.
- Scranton outshot the River Hawks, 53-22, but senior Dylan Abplanalp was up to the challenge and turned away 18 of the 27 shots on goal.
- Collin Purdy dominated the face-offs for the Royals, winning 22-of-25 with a game-high 15 ground balls.
- Scranton also controlled the ground balls, posting a 56-18 margin.
- Hatala finished with two goals while senior captain Jake Smolokoff added two assists in the winning performance.
- Junior long-stick midfielder Jacob Fox paced the defense with four caused turnovers while senior defenseman Luke Franklin scooped up a team-high three ground balls.
- Connor Kirkwood led the Royals with three goals and four points while Purdy chipped in two goals to his dominant play at the X.
Up Next for the River Hawks
- May 4 at Elizabethtown (10-7) – Elizabethtown, Pa. – Landmark Tournament Championship – TBA